Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dedicated to Sally

Goal:
5x6 min with 2:30 rest at 5:50 pace and getting faster to 5:30

Actual:
3.5 mile warmup
4xmile with 2:30 jog rest at 5:50, 5:50, 5:45, 5:56, then 800m in 2:48 and 400m in 1:17
2.1 mile cool down

Today I woke up to work out with Meagan and Billy.  Then I heard the sad news about Sally Meyerhoff.  I cried. And cried.  And cried. 

Despite the fact that I had only exchanged a few emails with Sally in the past and had just met her in person at Houston for the first time, I always found inspiration in Sally.  I looked up to Sally as one of my running idols because of her red hair and because of her ability to run a 2:35 marathon.  I tried to help her get on the Charlotte Running Club XC team for the USATF Club XC Championships and at Houston we promised that we would link up to run together whenever I visit my brother in Phoenix. 

From that 5 minute snippet of conversation at Houston, I was able to tell that she truly was a beautiful person, with a tremendous heart for her family and friends, who possessed a true appreciation for her sport, sponsors, and believers.  According to her blog on Feb 3, she lived life without regrets because "we never know how much time we have in life."  I am happy that she lived her 27 years of life without regrets, because her life was tragically taken from us yesterday.  From her Facebook page, it is clear that she had a positive influence on so many people in the community and will be greatly missed.  While I did not know Sally well, I know that the entire US running community is deeply saddened by this loss.  For this reason, Meagan and I decided to dedicate each of our intervals in our workout today to each member of her family and her 4 precious dogs that she gushed about in her blog.

While we ran with heavy hearts, we completed this workout, albeit slower than Meagan and I would have hoped, with Sally on our mind every step of the way.  In the grand scheme of things, we are grateful to be here in this world and running with our friends.  The only thing that matters today is that I have the opportunity to live and breathe, which is something that should not be taken for granted.  You are in our hearts, Sally! 

2 comments:

Kyleeeliz said...

Thanks for this post, Caitlin. I feel like I reacted the same way you did. Glad you dedicated your intervals to her. Just heartbreaking and I can't stop thinking about it today. Glad that we can all band together as a running community for support and reflection.

Kelly said...

Aw, thanks so much for this sweet post. You will carry on her running legacy with your speedy legs and red hair:). Go break her US record at the 25k championships:).

Post a Comment