Friday, February 17, 2012

5xMile Repeats

Goal:
5xmile repeats with 2:30 rest at 5:45 pace and getting faster

Actual:
3 miles warmup
5:36 (2:30)
5:37 (2:30)
5:34 (2:30)
5:37 (3:00)
5:30
2 miles cool down for 11 miles total

Eric and I did this workout on the Dilworth 2 Mile Speed Loop during a delightful North Carolina February afternoon.  The temperatures were in the upper 60s and the sun was shining bright; I couldn't have asked for better weather!  Since we did the 2 mile loop, miles 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 shared the same route.  Mile 5 was a hybrid of the two routes since we had to make it back to our starting point.

We started off a little faster than I had originally planned, but it didn't even feel hard.  On the next interval, there were more gradual uphills so I pressed harder so that I felt like I was actually working.  My time was quite similar to the one prior, even with the uphill!  Unlike all of my other post-marathon workouts, I felt better on each passing interval.  Things were going great.  We took a little bit extra rest after the 4th one because we took a much needed water break at Rebecca's porch.  I really dug deep on the fifth one and could even feel my face contorting a little bit.  Hopefully I never stuck my tongue out because the Dilworth post master would have been scared away.

The best part about this workout is that it's definitely the fastest I've ever run on this course.  Back in September, I could barely muster a 5:38 on this course.  I felt strong and almost 95% normal!  This feeling could have largely been due to the fact that Greenapple worked on me for over an hour last night, helping to loosen up parts of my body that are fighting hard against me.

Oh, and remember how Eric dropped me on my workout on Wednesday?   I dropped him on this workout.

1 comments:

Anne Callaway said...

So impressive. I need to do this route too, because I don't do "track" workouts. Have so much fun tomorrow!

Post a Comment