Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Workout Fail

Goal:
3x2 Mile w/ 2 min rest @ 5:45, 5:40, 5:35

Actual:
3 mile warmup, 1 mile at 6:30, 2.5 miles cool down

Tonight's workout was going to be a normal one on the Dilworth Speed Loop that called for 3x2 miles with 2 min rest.  My arch, calves, achilles--well, basically every single muscle in my lower leg--had been fickle. On Sunday and Monday, I had to cut both runs 3-5 miles short because my legs just couldn't handle it.  Tuesday, I felt nothing.  Today, well, I was hoping for the same as yesterday.  On the warmup down East Blvd, I felt ready to put in a good workout, but as soon as I began my first interval, everything was out of whack. My breathing was heavy and my legs still felt like lead weights.  After 1000m, I slowed it down, bringing in a 6:30 mile split.  Then I resorted to walking, finally stopping at the tennis courts in Freedom Park, debating going to Laurie's house to call Garrett so that he could pick my wounded self up.  I gathered myself and was able to muster enough strength to run the 2.5 miles back to my house instead.

After today's workout and seeing how long it has taken my calves to recover from my 8k race this past weekend, I am just going to do a tempo in my long run on Saturday.  My body is telling me it's not ready for a workout, so I'm not going to push it.  I wonder if wearing the Nike Flyknits had a negative effect on my legs, or if it was just the first time I've raced fast in a long time.  Who knows!

0 comments:

Post a Comment