Tuesday, June 26, 2012

3x2 Mile

Goal:
3x2 mile with 2:00 rest at 5:50-5:55 pace

Actual:
3.4 mile warmup
3x2 mile with 2:00 rest at 5:47 pace
11:36 (5:48, 5:48), 11:35 (5:47, 5:45), 11:36 (5:47, 5:48)
2 mile cool down

This was an early morning run at the Dilworth Speed Loop with Chad, Mike, Spada, Caleb and Danielle.  In the past, I've approached this workout with the goal to run faster than I ever have on this course.  However, now that I've received my new training plan from Coach Mark Hadley, I knew that this wasn't the goal.  My new focus is to make 5:50-6:05 pace feel as controlled, relaxed and easy as possible.  This means that I really won't be going "all out" in workouts so much any more as I prepare for Philly.

With this goal nestled into my mind, I set off behind the boys for the first interval.  I could tell that everyone else was trying not to just leave me in the dust in the first 800m, but they held back just enough.  Caleb was a trusty sidekick the entire way as we ran side-by-side for all intervals.  Just like clockwork, I ticked off 5:47s like it was no big deal.  I was surprised at how perfectly I could hit those splits and make it feel relatively easy.  For the third interval, I felt a little bit more fatigued, but I could account that to the humid weather that has finally made its way to North Carolina.

In the end, I definitely achieved the goals of this workout. I really do think that Mark would be proud of how I executed the workout strategy to perfection, even if the splits were a little faster than the original goal pace he had outlined. I'm looking forward to working on my pacing throughout the next six months.

0 comments:

Post a Comment