Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week in Review

75 Miles
3 Doubles
1 Lifting
1 Workout
16 Mile Long Run

Well, this week was largely uneventful as I struggled to gather the motivation to get out the door and run practically every day.  I didn't even want to run in the morning, and then by the time I returned home in the evening, I hadn't consumed enough calories at work, so I would be famished and stuff my face with apples and peanut butter.  Yes, my snack of choice.  All of this would result in further lack of motivation to get off my butt and run....And all of this would result in me not hitting my mileage target of 80-90 miles for this week.  When it comes down to it, I'm not happy with my racing times and I'm not happy with my workout times in the past two weeks...and all of that combined makes one unhappy Caitlin.  I typically am a pretty positive person, but right now, I'm feeling a little down on running, but am still optimistic that I could be feeling normal again in less than a week.

I go through phases like this every now and then, and I know it really means that I need to take some down time.  It's ironic because in some ways taking down time is the very last thing I want to do because I think of my goals for the USA Half Champs and also, even further out on the horizon, the Philly Marathon.  However, I know that for my own sake, I do need a break.  Fortunately, after next week, I get some down time as I am traveling to the Dominican Republic to visit my former teammate Merry Placer.  Fortunately she still runs and knows Spanish, so we'll still be running in the DR, just not very seriously.  More just to burn off the calories of free food and drinks we'll be consuming at the all-inclusive resort that I booked for $12 a day.  No, that is not a typo.

That being said, I embark on another week before racing at the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler, where I have an expectation to have fun and race hard.  After that, April will be here and I'll be embarking on the journey known as winningasmuchprizemoneyashumanlypossible.

2 comments:

Meagan Nedlo said...

it's clear that you're struggling with motivation because i'm not there to run with. fortunately, there's an easy solution: COME VISIT AGAIN! we'll have a training camp! we're only in our place until the end of may and then who knows where we'll end up so you should come sooooooon!

mfranks said...

I'm trying to play catch up on your blog. I think its OK to need a break, and we all have those moments where we feel like our running is really not that important being that we are just little people on the big running scale. However your running motivates and inspires me. Therefore to have weeks that you are just down and some-what unmotivated just makes you human and easier to relate to.
You are a strong and impressive women, not just in running but in how you balance all things important in your life.

Nice 10miler, your splits were awesome! Keep on! You are still running amazing!

Post a Comment