Tuesday, July 30, 2013

5x1000m on the Speed Loop

Goal:
5x1000m at 3:31-5:26 with 2:30 rest

Actual:
3 mile warmup
5x1000m at 3:24, 3:23, 3:22, 3:22, 3:21 with 2:30 jog rest
2.5 mile cool down for 9.3 miles total

pm: 6.5 miles with Nick for 15.8 miles total

The goal for this workout was to simulate my goal paces for the race on Saturday night.  With set time bonuses for the prize money, I figured it'd be easy to choose my goal paces based on those--namely: sub-17:43 ($300) and sub-17:15 ($200).  I roughly calculated the the splits and felt ready to set out on slightly less than ambitious times.  I purposely slowed down the paces because June was basically a bust of a month for mileage and I've only had four solid weeks of training under my belt.

Caleb, Billy and I met up at the Speed Loop and got to business quickly.  Caleb stuck with me, which is a change to his normal routine--sprint out ahead of me and then come back to be even with me after 300m. He made a conscious decision to just stick to my strategy and I think it worked out best for both of us.  I didn't panic that I was going out too fast and he didn't slow down tremendously.  Our splits for the 400m and 800m were generally slower and then I would mentally make a note to push it really hard in the last 200-400m.  This helped drive the paces faster so that we could run a progression of sorts for each interval.  Definitely very pleased with this as I ran faster than my goal paces and left feeling ready to run a solid 5k on Saturday night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment