Sunday, October 11, 2015

(I moved across the country and got injured) Week in Review

48 Miles
0 workouts
18 miles, with 6 mile limping home
2,800 miles moved from Durham, NC to Mountain View, CA

This week started off so good.  A nice run in Durham with my friends, with the sun shining for the first time in thirteen days.  I said goodbye to my cat Cicero and my husband, and boarded a one-way flight to San Jose, California with only two bags to my name.  Yes somehow all of my personal possessions fit into two large suitcases and the trunk of my Honda Accord that was shipped across the country for me.  Ain't nobody got time for that (driving across the country, that is).

Things were going great - I unpacked, got settled in and even got to run with a couple of people.  I created my standard Facebook group to connect runners throughout the Bay Area together and was pumped to find out that two other folks were doing a long run on Friday. I got it cleared with Terry to do the long run with them, and departed my house with high hopes.  We got through 12 miles and then, out of absolutely nowhere, my calf got tight.  Really, really tight.  Like, I-may-have-just-strained-my-calf tight.  As in, "did I just get shot?" tight.

And I was 6 miles from my house.

So I stopped.  I tried walking.  Then ran again. I tried asking a LinkedIn employee to take me home.  They said no.  And then asked if I had any friends to call.  I almost burst into tears.  I literally have no friends.  They're all everywhere but here...and I don't have their phone numbers memorized.  Just Garrett and my mom and dad.  My favorite part was when the LinkedIn employee suggested I go to the Google security guard to ask for help.  Not the LinkedIn security guard.

I made a (dumb) decision to run the rest of the way home.  Three hours and 18 miles later, I made it home...and could barely walk. I was limping.  I went into emergency mode.  Started contacting as many massage places as possible.  I literally could. not. walk.  I got in to a Thai Massage place less than half a mile from my house, but I couldn't even walk there because it was too bad. I felt lame to have to drive there.

The Thai massage helped tremendously in that I could walk with much less of a limp, but I could tell I needed some time for my calf to settle down.

The best news was that my sister came into town the next day so I didn't have any time to mope about how I almost pulled my calf muscle.  Instead, I focused on hanging out with her and Athena so that we could have the best possible weekend together!


Post a Comment