Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fartlek on Hills in Plaza Midwood

Goal: Hilly Fartlek of some sort
Actual: 6-5-4-3-2-1 on some hills, all on feel

I've been working out with Thomas a bit more lately now that he's back from Oklahoma and also now that he lives 3 miles from house. Last night we planned to meet this morning, to run from our respective houses at 550am and to meet halfway somewhere on Central. Michelle was doing 6-5-4-3-2-1 with 2 min rest so we essentially stole her workout and did it over the rolling hills of Plaza Midwood and Myers Park. We warmed up about 4 miles and then started our first interval.

Once we started, my body didn't feel great but it also didn't feel terrible. Over the past week or so, I've felt really out of breath on my workouts. I think it has to do with the weather and not really being used to the changes in humidity. Regardless, this workout was fun because we just went on feel and had no idea what pace we were going. It was nice to finish the rep and then run back to Michelle to pick her up. I tried to focus on maintaing a solid form and running as efficient as possible. I was glad to have Thomas there to push me because there were moments where I really wanted to just slow down. After the last 1 minute interval, I cooled down about 1.5 miles.

In other news, with the guidance of my mom, I did some research on what might inhibit the absorption of iron. I found that gluten is a main inhibitor, along with coffee, caffeine, tea, and calcium (but I already knew about those). In the end, I'm trying to limit the amount of wheat products I eat over the next couple of weeks to see if it helps increase my iron levels. At the same time, I have never had a ferritin level higher than 20 when I'm not injured, so I guess between 12-20 is a normal level for me. Yet, it won't hurt to try something a little different for now. I also ordered several vitamins based on my own research and then Garrett's research:

Vitamin B12 (vegetarians don't get B12)
Beta Alanine (helps in a faster recovery for endurance athletes)
Lysine (helps with the absorportion of iron)
L-Glutamine (i don't remember what this one does)

0 comments:

Post a Comment