Saturday, December 5, 2015

(Still Injured) Week in Review

0 runs
7 days off
2 Lift Days
10M Bike Ride in 39 minutes

...So I'm still injured.  I hate tendon injuries, and somehow that's the only injury that likes to haunt me.  I hate tendon injuries because you just never know when they will heal.  Bone injuries are much more predictable and formulaic:  stress fracture? Take 4-6 weeks off and you're 99% going to be healed at the end.  Fortunately, I've only been injured three times in my 16-year running career, which is pretty damn good if you ask me.

I'll admit that I'm doing my best to keep a positive outlook.  The thing that's bugging me the most though is just that I know there are so many friends and family members coming to the Trials.  And because of that, I want to be able to run for them.  They've supported me since I had the goal to run at the Trials back in 2010, and I don't want to let them down.  And I know this is silly, because each and every one of my supporters would completely understand if I couldn't run.  Obviously, that's worse case scenario, and I don't think it will get to that.  My hope is that I can start running again on December 15th, which would be about 4 weeks off at that point.  Completely off, no cross training, unless I pick that up next week.

Speaking of cross training, I finally had this burning desire to get my heart rate going again - you know, to actually use my heart for exercise - so I hopped on my new Specialized Ariel Sport Disc and pushed through 10 miles around Baylands.  It was a beautiful, sunny day with temps in the low 60s and I just felt freed - to feel the air in my lungs and to hear my steady, labored breaths as I pedaled.  It was fantastic!  This is why I love exercise - it makes you feel euphoric and you completely forget whatever the hell happened in the day that pissed you off. But after the ride, I could tell my achilles responded negatively to the effort and I was bummed out because I really was hoping to be able to run this weekend.  So that's when I made my new goal - to start running on December 15th!  Baby steps....the ultimate goal is that I can run a decent time at the Trials. :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment